Look at me, I made a blog

July 2, 2010

The Wrong Coast



I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think that I'm on the wrong coast. While sweltering weather is forecasted for NYC once again, the weather is absolutely gorgeous in San Francisco and Los Angeles. And, it seems like all my favorite Summer 2K10 jams are by Californian musicians. Could this be a sign? Should I pack up my bags and head west?

For whatever reason, I felt like summer officially started when I listened to Ty Segall's "Girlfriend." To be honest, I've had mixed feelings about Ty Segall since I went to his headlining "show" at Mercury Lounge last September. Apparently he had been sick, so he only performed for about 15 minutes. It was a major letdown, especially since I had been looking forward to seeing him live for quite some time. Maybe I'm too harsh on the guy, but I can't deny that "Girlfriend" is a hot summer jam. It's the kind of song that will get you pumped for almost anything, even a trip to the dentist.

By far, Best Coast has been one of the most impressive new acts to emerge on the scene in the last year or so. If I hadn't seen Best Coast at CMJ last fall, I may have missed out for much longer. Amazingly, every new track has been increasingly stronger. When I fell in love with "Far Away," I thought that Best Coast couldn't get any better. Of course, Best Coast proved me wrong with their newest single, "Boyfriend." With catchy lyrics and melodies, "Boyfriend" is pop at its best. I have listened to this song on repeat for hours, and it might be for nostalgic reasons. If this song had existed when I was in middle school, it would have been my anthem. Being hopelessly in puppy love with a guy friend was a story that was all too familiar to me at age 11, and Best Coast captures this yearn so perfectly. Bethany Cosentino, you are my hero. Be sure to look out for Best Coast's first full-length release, Crazy For You, which you can pre-order here.

Last but not least, "King of the Beach" by Wavves has been my default pick-me-upper. With all the ridiculous publicity surrounding Wavves and their behavior in the last year, I may have decided to stop paying attention. I really have to thank The Great Pumpkin for convincing me to check out the new album. "King of the Beach" is the first track of the album (by the same name), and it's a great opener to a set of summer festival-perfect songs. Hearing it live may make you want to jump onstage, do a 5-second dance, and dive into the crowd. If P4K's stamp of approval isn't compelling enough for you (or turns you off completely), I hope I can nudge you to take a listen below.

Girlfriend - Ty Segall

King of the Beach - Wavves

Boyfriend - Best Coast

1 comments:

canvas prints on September 29, 2011 at 5:30 AM said...

Girlfriend was the track that pulled me in but wasn't impressed with the other stuff, a bit of a dissapointment.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog