Look at me, I made a blog

August 2, 2010

Kimchi Bacon Mac and Cheese



Whenever Mama Kim rolls into town, I can guarantee that there will be at least one large Ziploc bag of kimchi with her luggage. So, what do I do with all the kimchi? Kimchi stew, spicy tofu, cold noodles, and pancakes are usually what I turn to when I need to use my super fermented kimchi. Recently, I had a glorious idea for a dish that calls for kimchi. Take a basic mac and cheese, add kimchi and bacon, and you've got yourself a new Korean-American classic. Seriously, how is this not already a trend? Although it sounds strange, cheese complements Korean flavors really well. I've seen it in ramen and kimbap, so a kimchi mac and cheese seemed like a natural combination.

This kimchi bacon mac and cheese is dangerously delicious. The combination of rich cheese, salty bacon, and sour kimchi is unlike anything that I've ever tasted, and I'm finding it hard to exercise portion control. You have been warned.

Kimchi Bacon Mac and Cheese
Mac and Cheese Base Adapted from Martha Stewart (via Smitten Kitchen)

Serves 6

1 1/2 cups kimchi
6 slices bacon
3 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 1/4 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
1 cup (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyère
1/2 pound elbow macaroni (I used whole wheat)

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Squeeze kimchi to remove excess juice. Dice into small, 1/2 inch pieces.
2. Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and pat with paper towels. Cook kimchi in remaining bacon fat over medium heat until slightly tender, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Warm the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When the butter bubbles, add the flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
4. While whisking, slowly pour in the hot milk a little at a time to keep mixture smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
5. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, and 3/4 cup Gruyère. Add the bacon and set the cheese sauce aside.
6. Cover a large pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook the macaroni until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir the macaroni and kimchi into the reserved cheese sauce. If desired, salt to taste.
7. Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter in a skillet and toast breadcrumbs until golden.
8. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cups cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup Gruyère, and the breadcrumbs over the top. Bake until golden brown, about 20-30 minutes. Transfer the dish to a wire rack for 5 minutes; serve.


8 comments:

Tim (korean dad) on November 1, 2010 at 6:02 PM said...

Are you kidding me? You can go to hell mixing kimchi and mac-n-cheese :) Honestly, it's just genius. Definitely gonna try it. Thanks!

mimi on November 1, 2010 at 6:10 PM said...

Thanks, Tim! I have a ton of kimchi in my fridge right now, so it's about time I revisit this recipe, too. I would advise being careful with salting (and using salty cheeses) since this has many salty components.

brown canvas on September 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM said...

Wow I agree that's a crazy idea but well worth a try, thanks!!

Jonathan on October 22, 2012 at 2:07 PM said...

I thought I was crazy when, after grabbing some mac and cheese (and a samosa) off of the Whole Foods hot bar, I went over to the salad bar for one more thing and thought, "Hm kimchi sounds good." Then I had a bite together and thought, "This is great, but who else would think so? I am sure my taste buds are too different." I was so happy to see your recipe and see that I am not a freak! :) I'll have to try making a more proper version. Until then, I might do the bite for bite off the hot bar again.

vận chuyển hàng hóa đi nha trang on October 16, 2016 at 10:04 PM said...

Công ty vận tải chúng tôi chuyên cung cấp dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa đi Nha Trang để đáp ứng nhu cầu chuyển hàng cho quý khách về Nha Trang trong dịp tết với dịch vụ vận chuyển quà Tết để đáp ứng nhu cầu đó.
Các dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa khác:
- Dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa đi Hà Nội
- Dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa đi Đà Nẵng
- Dịch vụ vận tải hàng hóa đi Phú Quốc
Liên hệ: Mr.Tài – 0166 944 5753 >< zalo
skype: nguyentaiachau94
mail:nguyentaiachau@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/vt.bacnam/?ref=bookmarks

GioiNguyenIT on December 1, 2016 at 5:31 AM said...

dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa
dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa đi Đà Nẵng
dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa đi Nha Trang
dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa đi Hà Nội
Nguyễn Văn Minh Giới

GioiNguyenIT on December 14, 2016 at 10:59 PM said...

Danh sách 265 Social Bookmarking với PR cao và link Dofollow tiếp theo

Hoà Huyên on December 21, 2016 at 10:15 AM said...

mặc dầu còn hơn 1 tháng nữa mới tới Tết Nguyên đán 2017 nhưng tại Hà Nội, nhiều cây đào bích, đào phai đã sớm khoe sắc trên giàn phơi quần áo thông minh.

Vừa tậu cành đào phai tại chợ hoa quảng bá, bà Nguyễn Thị Liên (51 tuổi, P.Bạch Mai, Q.Hai Bà Trưng) chia sẻ: “Tôi mua cành đào phai giá 160.000 đồng. Năm nào vợ chồng tôi cũng đánh xe lên chợ này sắm cành đào về đón rằm tháng Chạp và Tết Dương lịch”.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog