Look at me, I made a blog

May 19, 2008

Chairlift - Bowery Ballroom 05.18.08




This post definitely deserves much more depth. Alas, I have no time and I am going to be MIA for a month.

Not too long ago, I blogged about an awesome song by Chairlift. Now that I have discovered more of their songs (Thanks, David!) and have finally seen them live, I am completely hooked. And you will be too.

With so many bands based in Brooklyn, it's hard to keep up with the scene. Thinking back to the obscure acts I've seen this year, I realize that so many bands are just not good (Just because you can play instruments doesn't mean you have to share your bad music with other people). Also, it's such a stereotype for a band to be based in Brooklyn. Whenever I go to a band's MySpace and see that they're from Brooklyn, I chuckle to myself because OF COURSE this new, obscure indie band is from Brooklyn. It's almost a running joke. But, then I discover a band like Chairlift and I stop drinking the Brooklyn haterade.

Chairlift is definitely one of the most exciting acts that I've listened to this year. I normally don't like female vocalists, but I dig Caroline's voice and she sounds incredible live. Unlike many other acts, Chairlift is not a one-hit wonder. During the Bowery show, I kept on saying, "Oh yea, I like this song." But, I said that for every song that I recognized. Although most of Chairlift's music has a psychedelic vibe, the variety and originality of the songs keep me engaged. If you think "Evident Utensil" is awesome, wait until you hear the other stuff.

For an early opening act, there were a fair number of people who made it out to the Bowery for Chairlift. This makes me think that more people are starting to follow this band. As they should! I wish I could share more of Chairlift's music with you. It really just speaks for itself. Alas, you will have to wait for the release of their LP.

From looking at their MySpace, it seems like their upcoming LP is titled Does You Inspire You. Word is that the LP will be released sometime this summer. From what I've heard, the LP is going to be well worth the wait. "Deer Hunt" and "Planet Health" are my current favorites.

Setlist
Deer Hunt
Garbage
Planet Health
Earwig Town
Evident Utensil
Home Alone
Bruises
Make Your Mind Up

Evident Utensil - Chairlift


Chairlift

2 comments:

Unknown on May 21, 2008 at 7:49 PM said...

your lonely blog deserves a friendly comment
oohbh
whoops, wrong box

Hiemann Lee on June 4, 2008 at 9:52 PM said...

you still need to share these with me

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog