Look at me, I made a blog

January 11, 2009

Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele - "College Town Boy"


via Left Hip Magazine

Like Merriweather Post Pavillion, Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele's upcoming album was one that started listening to on Christmas Day. The ukulele is my instrument of the moment, so without doubt I'm won over by Dent May's charming tunes. It's almost hard to believe that this beachy, 50s-inspired album came from Mississippi, a state that rarely passes my mind. But, I can't get enough of Dent May's crooning voice, and I've been finding myself singing random lines from "College Town Boy" and "Meet Me in the Garden."

Every time I hear "College Town Boy," I can't help but laugh a little. I think everyone knows someone like the guy that Dent May sings about in "College Town Boy." You know, he's that guy who graduated and didn't really know what else to do but hang around as the glory days of college quickly fade away. When I first listened to this song over the holidays, I immediately thought of one person, and over 90% of this song fits his exact description. J. and T., this was the song that I mentioned last week.

"Meet me at 1020 for Happy Hour," he said. Okay, he hasn't said that but I wouldn't put it past him.

The Good Feeling Music of Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele will be released on February 3. In the meantime, check out the A Brush With Velvet EP for some great acoustic versions. Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele will be supporting for A.C. Newman, and you can catch them on March 15 at Bowery Ballroom.


College Town Boy - Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele


Meet Me in the Garden - Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele


Check out the EP acoustic version of "Meet Me in the Garden" here (via Ukulele Hunt).

Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele

7 comments:

david on January 11, 2009 at 1:43 PM said...

please tell me that you've heard michael leviton's "my favorite place to drown." if you haven't, you needs to get on that right away.

Nate on January 18, 2009 at 12:34 PM said...

wow... this is so good. thanks for the reference.

Nate on January 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM said...

reminds me of the magnetic fields. but less sad

mimi on January 18, 2009 at 2:25 PM said...

glad you like it! i love the spurts of barbershop-like harmonies.

SHL on January 27, 2009 at 2:17 PM said...

If MS rarely passes your mind, you are missing out on some great music. Dent is just one of many musicians that are currently a part of the cultural renaissance that is Oxford, MS. See Colour Revolt, John Barrett's Base drum of Death, etc. Plus MS's past with music isn't to shabby either. See "the Blues."

mimi on January 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM said...

thanks for the names. and, to your last comment, of course i know about the delta blues. and although that's a style that continues to influence modern artists, i don't know enough about the MS scene to know that it even exists.

canvas prints on October 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM said...

Wonderful absolutely amazing, Dan's just so talented.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog