Look at me, I made a blog

January 20, 2009

Here We Go Magic, Department of Eagles - Bowery Ballroom 01.19.09


Here We Go Magic


Department of Eagles

It's really astounding that the two bands that I saw tonight have performed only a handful of live shows together with their respective members. When Department of Eagles, a favorite of mine since I saw them at their album release show, announced another New York show, I decided to go without a second thought. Then, about two weeks ago, I found out that one of my newest obsessions, Here We Go Magic, was opening for DOE. Needless to say, I freaked out a little at my desk at work when I learned of this news.

Although Luke Temple is a regular performer and even played a solo set at Le Poisson Rouge last Friday, this Bowery Ballroom show was only the third show that Here We Go Magic had ever played together. Even if that were the case, I couldn't tell by the polish of their set. I'd been wondering how Here We Go Magic's sound would translate onto the stage, especially since there are some electronic-ish instrumental tracks on the forthcoming debut album. Basically, Here We Go Magic skipped the instrumental tracks and played songs that were more like "Fangela" and "Tunnelvision" (Listen to the songs here). I thought they would do some strange experimental stuff onstage, but they were more like a band that plays real instruments. And, they sounded absolutely amazing. With the support of a full band, the live Here We Go Magic sounded much warmer and richer. Now, when I listen to the recorded album, I feel like I'm missing quite a bit of depth. If you have a chance, GO SEE THIS BAND. And, if you're curious, they do have more songs that are not on their upcoming self-titled, and they performed them at the Bowery.

After Here We Go Magic, Department of Eagles took the stage for what was something like their fifth show ever. Daniel Rossen kicked off the set on the banjo with "Balmy Night," a song that makes me want to buy the instrument and learn to play. As Fred and the rest of the band joined Daniel, I noticed that Chris Taylor was once again missing. Someone named Matt or Max (I think) filled in on the bass. Does anyone know what his name was? I almost want to assume that he must be involved in a Grizzly Bear-related project since the last bassist, Nat Baldwin, was once a member of the Dirty Projectors. Anyway, DOE played two new songs, one of which was only two weeks old. Each piece involved the looping of Daniel's voice, and it was an experience to hear and watch him build his own harmonies. But, my favorite moment of the night was when Daniel and Fred performed a beautiful guitar-only version of "Sailing by Night" (Listen here). I have a particular weak spot for that song, and I can't help but swoon every time I hear it performed live. No JoJo's "Too Little, Too Late" or "Deep Blue Sea," which is now a Grizzly Bear song, but I was still happy to have seen this talented band again.

And, yes, Ed Droste was in the audience.



Here We Go Magic




Department of Eagles

1997 (Daytrotter Session) - Department of Eagles | Alternative Link


Department of Eagles

Ahab - Here We Go Magic | Alternative Link


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea that this show happened. I'm furiously jealous.

Nate on January 20, 2009 at 3:13 PM said...

ARGHHHH i wish i was there. animal collective tonight should make up for it.

mimi on January 20, 2009 at 3:26 PM said...

awesome! you gotta tell me how that is. i'm going tomorrow @ bowery ballroom.

Nate on January 21, 2009 at 1:33 AM said...

AC WAS AMAZING. the second half of the show was so amazing. you will dance your ass off. during brother sport the grand ballroom really could have collapsed. is it brothersport? or brother sport? whatever. it's amazing.

here's some pics:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=55094&id=507508257&ref=mf

and a video of leaf house:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdiAo2txWs

enjoy. tomorrow night should be incredible.

mimi on January 21, 2009 at 2:02 AM said...

great, i can't wait! i like how you probably just got home from the show...and i just got home from work.

Anonymous said...

so, i discover'd this whole here we go magic/luke temple racket, t'day. via you. and a simple click. when someone pronounces an obsession, i figure it must mean something meaningful. and good lord, lady, i see why you're obsess'd. i am furiously burrowing through the temple back-cat, now, as we type, and am feeling halfway to overwhelm'd at all the rich creamery goodness. so, thankye for making your obsession my obsession. obsessively yours, tony.

mimi on January 21, 2009 at 12:15 PM said...

yea, they're rather addicting. that's how i ended up listening to tunnelvision over 100 times since xmas.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog