Look at me, I made a blog

February 1, 2010

"Whaddya Wanna Know" - Cloud Nothings


via BrooklynVegan

Another album that's been getting me through this cold winter is Cloud Nothings' Turning On. I really have Tom of The Great Pumpkin to thank for this one. I was planning on seeing Real Estate and Woods at Market Hotel back on December 4th, and he strongly suggested that I make it to the venue in time to check out Cloud Nothings. As hard as I try to break bad habits, I'm known to operate on AST at times. When I arrived at Market Hotel, Cloud Nothings was onstage and the venue was already nearly packed to capacity. Apparently, I was not the only one who was curious about Cloud Nothings.

On the rise, the Cleveland-based band is a project of 18-year-old Dylan Baldi, with some additional help for live shows. According to Todd P, that Market Hotel performance was their first show ever. If that truly were the case, Cloud Nothings put on a phenomenal first show (and maybe they'd been rehearsing for days on end). Recently, I feel like some of the new bands that I've been seeing have fallen in one of following categories: bands who can actually play instruments, bands who cannot play instruments well, and bands who choose laptops over instruments. Cloud Nothings belong in the first category, and they put on a solid performance. Good song writing and good musicianship never fail to impress me.

I've shared "Whaddya Wanna Know" below. It's one of the very catchy songs off Turning On, and I often find myself singing it in public...by accident. My current favorite Cloud Nothings tune is "Crying Underwater," which you can grab from The Great Pumpkin. You should definitely see Cloud Nothings if they hit your area. This is a band whose recorded music didn't immediately click for me, but the live performance completely won me over. I tried to see them again a couple weeks ago at a show presented by Chocolate Bobka and Group Tightener, but I was too sick to make it. They will be back in Brooklyn on March 6th.

Buy Turning On on cassette or CD at Bridgetown Records. As of this moment, there are only 5 CDs and 7 cassettes left! Cloud Nothings has a bunch of planned upcoming releases, so definitely be on the lookout for those.

Whaddya Wanna Know - Cloud Nothings

5 comments:

Nate on February 1, 2010 at 12:40 PM said...

shit, he's 18

comparing 18 year old bands:

being in the front row for said first cloud nothings show, i feel like it was good, probably better than smith westerns live, but in terms of recordings i'd say smith westerns is better than cloud nothings

i never saw beirut when zach condon was 18 but i think gulag orkestar is much better than both of the first two.

i feel like lo fi is dying

mimi on February 1, 2010 at 12:57 PM said...

agreed on the gulag orkestar >>>> other two. zach condon is just extraordinary.

I feel like Smith Westerns live is less about the music and way more about how they look while playing their instruments.

David on February 5, 2010 at 12:35 PM said...

Age shouldn't really matter. This guy can write some really catchy songs and if he can do a great live show, that's just an added bonus. "Hey Cool Kid" was one of the most addictive songs of last year.

mimi on February 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM said...

David,

Totally, I don't think age matters as long as bands conduct themselves professionally (on a certain level). For me, though, a great live show isn't an added bonus. I think being able to pull a great live sound/performance is crucial to a band's longevity. Or, whether or not I'll be a superfan, haha.

art on canvas on November 7, 2011 at 6:22 AM said...

Ahh what a brilliant album, glad it helped you through the winter!

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog