Look at me, I made a blog

April 22, 2008

Grizzly Bear - Columbia University 04.21.08





I have to agree with The Bwog; Columbia obviously didn't do any research before the Bacchanal show. Most people had never heard of Grizzly Bear, even though the band name was written on the ticket. Of course, I was one of the very few people who went to the show mostly to see Grizzly Bear. If you're curious about the National, check out my friend R's coverage here.

Before this show, I'd never seen Grizzly Bear perform. I heard them play from afar when they were at Pitchfork Music Festival. so I had an idea that this would be a mellow set. And, I got what I expected. After recording a performance of "While You Wait for the Others" for Conan O'Brien, Grizzly Bear rushed over to CU for a short performance. The crowd seemed to enjoy the electric version of "Little Brother" and "Knife," which has been countlessly covered and/or remixed, including versions by Girl Talk, CSS, Atlas Sound and Beirut. I wish they would have performed the acappella version of "Knife" that they did for La blogotheque. Also, I would have loved if they had performed "Deep Blue Sea."

On the whole, Grizzly Bear seemed to be pretty bored. Can't blame them entirely, the crowd wasn't the best. At one point, I just started talking to Ed Droste, who was directly in front of me, in between songs. Either he appreciated the interaction or he thought I was crazy. I hope it was the former.




Setlist
Alligator
Lullabye
Little Brother
Service Bell
Knife
Colorado
Fix It
On a Neck, On a Spit
Mother & Child Reunion (Paul Simon Cover)
While You Wait for the Others



"While You Wait for the Others" on Conan


On a Neck, On a Spit - Grizzly Bear


While You Wait for the Others (Live on Morning Becomes Eclectic) - Grizzly Bear


Little Brother (Electric) - Grizzly Bear


Grizzly Bear

2 comments:

Food for thought, literally (sometimes) on April 23, 2008 at 5:43 PM said...

so sad that people didn't enjoy it. But this new pop-up comment box is AWESOME.

RS on April 23, 2008 at 8:58 PM said...

haha, firstly... i agree, the comment box IS cool!
secondly, mimi, your conversation with ed might have been one of my highlights of the night! and i'm glad we both made the same assertion about GB...

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog