Look at me, I made a blog

April 27, 2008

She & Him - NYU 04.23.08



Pictures from Dese'Rae L. Stage. My camera's batteries died.

This is very delayed, I apologize. I've been pretty sick/sleep-deprived this week. If you haven't heard by now, She & Him is Zooey Deschanel (Remember she sang "Baby It's Cold Outside" in Elf?) and M Ward. I loved loved loved Zooey in Elf, so her album was highly anticipated one for me. For whatever reason, I thought Volume One would sound jazzier, like Zooey's rendition of "Baby It's Cold Outside." Instead, Volume One is really pop-y and very safe. Yes, most of the songs are pleasant-sounding because they utilize chord progressions that you can't help but like. But, on the whole, the album lacks some serious depth.

I arrived nearly an hour early for this show at NYU Skirball Center, there was an unbelievably long line. The duo was scheduled for two performances at Hiro Ballroom earlier that week. Due to illness, the first show was canceled, and the second one was moved to Webster Hall to accommodate tickets from both shows. I guess all the hype surrounding She & Him caught up with the NYU students.

Thao with the Get Down Stay Down opened, and they were awesome, as usual (Thao seriously has the most awesome commentary). By the time She & Him hit the stage, Skirball was pretty packed. I'm not sure if Zooey was still dealing with sickness, but she was really quiet on stage. There were a lot of awkward silences in between songs...as in, she would just stare at us and not say anything. For being sick, she didn't sound bad at all. I have to admit that Zooey is super adorable when she plays the tambourine and plucks out notes on the piano. Onstage, M Ward and Zooey Deschanel pretty much remind me of Johnny Cash and June. I've read this comparison somewhere else online, and I totally agree.

On the whole, I wasn't very engaged by the performance. I may have been more excited if I had seen them in a much smaller venue. Yo La Tengo made a surprise appearance for the encore. Not surprising since they backed up She & Him on Conan the other day...


Zooey sounded much sicker here.

Setlist
Black Hole
Change is Hard
I Was Made for You
You Really Got a Hold On Me
Take It Back
Got Me
Dusty
I Thought I Saw Your Face
Magic Trick
This is Not a Test
Sweet Darlin'
Bring It On Home
Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?


Why Do You Let Me Stay Here? - She & Him


This Is Not a Test - She & Him



She & Him

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as I liked Z Desch's singing in Elf, I wasn't so sold on her singing for realzz until I just listened to "This is Not a Test" here on your blog.. but sad to hear that she doesn't have stage presence! Sometimes that can really make or break a show even if it's a talented artist...at the least she could have made an Elf reference: "WORLD'S BEST COFFEE - CONGRATULATIONS!"

mimi on April 28, 2008 at 9:24 PM said...

I agree, I love on-stage banter. I can't decide if the album doesn't showcase her voice very well, or if she just doesn't have much of a voice to begin with.

Thao was hilarious, as always. And some NYU girls decided to get up out of their seats to dance to "Swimming Pools." It reminded me if what she said about those college girls who took off their tops to that song.

canvas wall art on November 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM said...

What a really great post, very interesting.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog