Look at me, I made a blog

October 11, 2008

Of Montreal - Roseland Ballroom 10.10.08


Yep, that's a real horse.

This was the third time that I'd seen Of Montreal, and it's probably going to be my last, unless I see them outdoors in some sort of festival setting. I've always said that Of Montreal puts on a very theatrical show, and they're visually entertaining. Well, it turns out that if the theatrics aren't accompanied by an acceptable quality of music, you pretty much feel like you're watching some bad high school musical production. In the past, I haven't really paid close attention to the stage happenings because I was too busy rocking out, feeling the music and such. But, with the Skeletal Lamping weak spots, I found myself distracted by the antics. I was not amused. I wanted to hear more of Hissing Fauna and Sunlandic.

For me, the best part of the set was the encore. Along with one of the guys from MGMT (I think? He sure looked like it but I didn't catch Kevin's intro), Of Montreal performed a cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit." The guys who were in front of me (who resembled MGMT) looked like they were going to die from the excitement. I guess it's not every day that you coincidentally see the person who you're trying to look like/channel/be. Of Montreal closed with my Hissing Fauna favorite, "Gronlandic Edit." What a great song! I wish Skeletal Lamping were more like this. Instead, I feel like the new album is very much like the live show. While explicit (and amusing) lyrics are used to grab attention in songs like "St. Exquisite's Confessions," and absurd props and animals (see the picture above) demand your eyes and ears. Gimmicky, no? Purely for shock value.

Sorry, y'all. I just don't love Skeletal Lamping. I'm even annoyed by some of the songs, especially "Gallery Piece." I still love Hissing Fauna, and it remains as one of my favorite albums of all time.

Skeletal Lamping is officially released on October 21. Check here for tour dates.

An Eluardian Instance - Of Montreal


For Our Elegant Caste - Of Montreal


Gronlandic Edit - Of Montreal


Of Montreal

9 comments:

mimi on October 11, 2008 at 1:05 AM said...

wow, that's some fast commenting

Hiemann Lee on October 11, 2008 at 1:10 AM said...

trying to look pics of that hottie

McG on October 11, 2008 at 11:42 AM said...

have to disagree. Like the flaming lips I think of montreal's stage show acts as a catalyst for the tunes, which are already extremely over the top and absurd, in a good way, and always have been. Definitely wouldve liked to hear more hissing fauna(bummer) my favorite album of 07 but I couldn't have enjoyed the show more. Lampings is the product of a Bowie and rick James orgy and the theatrics only cemented their vision of a totally ridiculous, ambiguous world where sex is free and freaky. Gotta remember this is georgie fruit, kevin barnes died during "the past is a grotesque animal."

Anybody else see jens? He was digging it.

Unknown on October 11, 2008 at 12:03 PM said...

mcg: Word. I couldn't say it better.

Yeah, I saw Jens but I think he must have been there bacause of Love Is All tho. Of course he wasn't gonna miss of Montreal once there :)

McG on October 11, 2008 at 2:31 PM said...

mimi,

just curious. are you a prince fan? And did anyone hear about his intimate show last night?

Anonymous said...

Thats a nice looking horse.

mimi on October 11, 2008 at 3:15 PM said...

mcg,

Well, I definitely think that the stage acts are appropriate for the music and Kevin Barnes' alter ego. Not so sure if I think they're always a catalyst for the music, which is what I was trying to say. No amount of theatrics can distract me from the fact that I'm just not crazy about all of Skeletal Lamping. The live show didn't make me enjoy the album any more than I had previously. Just my personal opinion.

Saw two shows during Hissing Fauna. Loved them, especially the one at P4K Music Fest '07. The show is much crazier outdoors. I remember a bowl of red-dyed apple sauce being passed around the crowd.

McG on October 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM said...

agreed that skeletal lampings doesn't have the substance of hissing fauna, nor the bitterness, but it's just thought free fun. That's where I thought the elaborate stage show suceeded in what it was trying to do, overwhelm the senses of the audience.

I don't want to get overly analytical, but maybe this sort of uber-fantastical musical theatre, which is definitely what the roseland was treated to last night, is just what people need in an especially bizarre time. The Economy blows, markets getting crushed, the presidential race is scarey and were still spending billions(more?) annually on war, maybe miniature dancing golden buddhas, mimes, and 99% nude males emerging from white flower coffins is the perfect remedy for getting about the uncertain future.

Hissing fauana crushes skeletal lampings, agreed. It is a master work. But I believe, that lampings is an appropriate follow up. And fun in a ridiculous, midnite vultures kinda way. Beck followed that with sea changes, imagine the possibilties.

brown canvas on February 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM said...

What a brilliant post, thanks a lot for sharing this with us!

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog