Look at me, I made a blog

October 11, 2008

Miracles of Modern Science - "Eating Me Alive"


via brooklynvegan

Over a week ago, my friend convinced me at the last minute to check out Parenthetical Girls and Evangelicals at Cake Shop. Good thing I did, otherwise I wouldn't have discovered Miracles of Modern Science.

A six-piece from Brooklyn and Princeton, Miracles of Modern Science describes itself as an "orchestral space-pop" band that uses classical instruments (mandolin, double bass, violin, cello) to drive their sound. I'm not really sure what space-pop is supposed to be, but they do wear spacesuits when they perform, and I suppose there are some lyrics about the sun and moon. Initially, their instruments caught my attention when I saw them at Cake Shop. When was the last time you saw a singer play an upright bass?? Although MOMS uses non-traditional instruments for a rock-pop band, there is definitely an accessible pop feel to their music. The combination of pop chord progressions and an acoustic instrumental foundation make MOMS a unique listen that's hard not to enjoy. Maybe it's my background in classical music, but I really like that the strings are the focus rather than embellishments, as they often are.

I've been playing "Eating Me Alive" on repeat for about a week now. This is one of the few songs that I caught at the MOMS set at Cake Shop since, unfortunately, I arrived too late to see the whole thing. The vocals are sprinkled on top of the strings in such a way that this song is very much about the instrumentals. I love the plucked strings that start around 1:24. Gives me chills, in a good way.

With the use of classical instruments (and some whistling), it is not surprising that many people are comparing MOMS to artists like Arcade Fire, Andrew Bird, and Broken Social Scene. In an interview, MOMS even cites Broken Social Scene as an influence. "Luminol," my second favorite track, definitely reminds me of BSS. Compared to the track that I have posted here, "Luminol" has more of a post-rock feel (Check it out here). I'm excited to hear their debut EP, which is expected to be released this fall.

Miracles of Modern Science will be appearing at the CMJ showcase at Glasslands Gallery on October 24. Suckers, Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears, Little Teeth, and Netherfriends will also be performing. See you there!

Eating Me Alive - Miracles of Modern Science


MR2 - Miracles of Modern Science

3 comments:

Hiemann Lee on October 13, 2008 at 10:06 PM said...

Now all they need is VW's publicist.

Andrew on October 13, 2008 at 11:36 PM said...

spacesuits = win

Tyler said...

These guys are INCREDIBLE.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog