Look at me, I made a blog

October 5, 2008

Fleet Foxes - Grand Ballroom 10.04.08



via Escape Sounds

What an incredible night at an unusual venue (Apparently it's affiliated with the Freemasons? Says Robin, anyway). This was the first time that New York experienced a healthy Robin Pecknold, though I did see a little bit of coughing. He even played standing up! Someone (named Sean) asked him where his chair was, and he replied that Frank Fairfield, the opening act, was borrowing it. Fleet Foxes played a new song called "Silver City," which is apparently about Robin's first day of camp. He played electric for that one, instead of his standard acoustic. Another memorable moment was when Robin unplugged his acoustic for "Katie Cruel" and "Tiger Mountain Peasant Song." There was a great distance between the edge of the stage and where he was performing, so he moved up to be closer to the audience. I was lucky enough to be directly in front of him during these rare moments. It pays off to come early and camp out a little, especially when it's for one of my favorite bands.

The show had a lot of banter between the band members and the audience, which was missing at the last Bowery Ballroom show. The stage personalities were a big part of why my first Fleet Foxes show was so memorable and why it personally holds a special place in my mind.

It is truly amazing to see Fleet Foxes go from playing as an opener at Bowery Ballroom back in March to selling out venues with 1200+ in capacity in 6 months. These guys deserve it, and they truly sounded amazing tonight, as expected. I can't wait to see them again tomorrow at Webster Hall.

Wow, they just sounded so good. So good. I was giggly during the entire show and afterwards.

Setlist (As you know, FF do not have physical setlists. I personally wrote this one down, so I would appreciate a credit if you post it elsewhere)

Sun Giant/Sun Rises
Drops in the River
English House
White Winter Hymnal
Ragged Wood
Your Protector
Crayon Angels (Judee Sill Cover)
Oliver James
Quiet Houses
He Doesn't Know Why
Mykonos
Katie Cruel (Traditional) - unplugged!
Tiger Mountain Peasant Song - unplugged!
Silver City - new song!
Blue Ridge Mountains

Click here to hear songs and to see a video performance of "Crayon Angels."


Video of "Ragged Wood/Your Protector." Thanks, Nate!

English House - Fleet Foxes


Blue Ridge Mountains - Fleet Foxes


Fleet Foxes

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

best show ever. i loved them and they loved me back. robin p 4 life.

Anonymous said...

I was the guy that asked about the chair. haha. thanks for the shout. You now have a new blog reader.

mimi on October 5, 2008 at 1:19 AM said...

haha! i also got some comments in there. i was the one who said, "thank YOU." and robin replied, "anytime." i also obnoxiously asked what the name of the new song was. it helps to be in the front.

mimi on October 5, 2008 at 1:20 AM said...

they sounded amazing, even though there was more reverb than i expected (based on previous shows). i personally prefer less reverb.

Anonymous said...

i think i stood right behind you. i was the kiddie that dropped "dont tase me bro!" among other things. it was an awesome show. i have two videos up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nalbmalfoy

mimi on October 5, 2008 at 5:13 PM said...

nice vids. i was closer to the center (based on the vids). i remember that comment, though. HAH! I love how there was this constant banter between the audience and FF. it definitely made the venue feel a lot smaller and intimate than it actually was in reality.

Kyle on October 5, 2008 at 5:27 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hiemann Lee on October 5, 2008 at 5:30 PM said...

enough of this nonsense, blog about MOMS

Anonymous said...

the banter was awesome. it wasnt stupid like at a radiohead concert where its just loud WOOS and stupid requests. it was actually positively contributing to the concert. and during quiet parts of songs like Oliver James and Tiger Mountain Peasant Song there was complete silence. i'm so happy to have been a part of the show. i really think it was the best show i've been to.

mimi on October 5, 2008 at 5:51 PM said...

oh yea, no one was screaming out requests the way that radiohead fans yell for "true love waits."

even at the last nyc show that they headlined, the audience was curiously silent and respectful. i like that because, most of the time, i felt like FF was playing for me and only me. I felt like I was attending a personal concert. I had stars in my eyes, and I probably looked like an idiot. i'm always in the front for their shows, and i'm sorta afraid that they recognize me as that girl who is always in the front, mouthing all the words.

i'm really glad robin quit smoking and is less sickly. last night's show embodied all the reasons why i became obsessed with this band after i saw them open for blitzen trapper at bowery. that was also an amazing night.

citizen analog on October 6, 2008 at 7:25 PM said...

The chair guy is here, but who said "Bring on the Goat?". Nice post. Truly amazing show. I have some video from this show as well, the acoustic stuff turned out nicely.

dodo86 on October 7, 2008 at 6:11 PM said...

Amazing show! I was the guy who said, "You won't do it!" when Robin threatened to sing without the microphone mid way into the show. And then towards the end of the night he stepped aside and let us hear that beautiful voice echo through the Grand Ballroom all by itself. I felt like I was in church. Everyone was so quit and respectful! After he finished the song I yelled, "You did it!" I felt like I had to finish the conversation we started earlier. His banter was great! I felt like he really got to know the audience. I'm glad was able to be a part of this amazing show!

Anonymous said...

the best banter was when some guy goes "YOU ARE THE MAN!" in a really robotic way and robin laughs on the side of the stage. he deserves a prize

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog