Look at me, I made a blog

May 26, 2009

"Ambivalence Avenue" - Bibio


via Warp Records

Back in December and January, Here We Go Magic's "Tunnelvision" was my in-transit anthem. The song's upbeat, repetitious melodies kept me moving very quickly from door to door, a motivation that I desperately needed back then. Even listening to it now brings back memories of the snow, cold wind, and busy Manhattan streets. Now that the weather has warmed up and leisurely strolls have become a new habit of mine, I find myself playing "Ambivalence Avenue" to accompany me on explorations in my new neighborhood.

While I had downloaded experimental electronic artist Bibio's new album sampler on RCRD LBL, I didn't listen to any full songs until "Ambivalence Avenue" was featured on Pitchfork's Forkcast. Founded on layers of acoustic guitar loops, "Ambivalence Avenue" is an infectious tune that sounds so natural that it hardly suggests the complicated recording process, as outlined in Bibio's bio via RCRD LBL. Combined with the warm lo-fi sound, the lethargic rhythm of the song (I believe it's in 3/4 time) paints a picture of a lazy summer Sunday, complete with deliberately slow walks that have no real destination in mind.

Judging by the rest of the sampler, I'm excited to hear the rest of the album. I was surprised by the wide range of genres that Bibio dabbles in for the forthcoming Ambivalence Avenue, including funk and hip-hop, which I didn't expect after hearing this song. Ambivalence Avenue will be officially released on June 22nd, but you can pre-order it on vinyl and CD here.

Ambivalence Avenue - Bibio

Bibio

2 comments:

doug on June 6, 2009 at 2:08 PM said...

i can't wait. loving 'here we go magic' and the luke temple catalog as well! nice ears.

Nübeats on March 16, 2010 at 3:10 PM said...

For me this is truly a fantastic and astonishingly versatile album! Your article was a very nice read!

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog