Look at me, I made a blog

May 19, 2009

"Early Warnings" - Foreign Born


via Dim Mak

Introduced to me by Ed Droste of the much-loved Grizzly Bear, Foreign Born is a folk rock band hailing from L.A., a music city that I tend to overlook. Foreign Born has been around since 2003, but I only recently started listening to them, starting with their forthcoming album Person to Person. There's something strangely familiar about Foreign Born's sound, probably because I associate certain techniques with specific artists. Listen to the intro to "It Grew on You," and tell me if you hear Radiohead as I do. Whatever their influences may be, Foreign Born uses the elements to mold a new incarnation, one unlike anything else I'm listening to at the moment.

The latest free song off Person to Person is "Early Warnings," a tune that plops down in your head and refuses to move. Starting with a cascading, African-inspired riff played on a hollow body guitar, the song has an instrumental melody that one might expect from a certain Upper West Side Soweto-influenced band. Lead singer Matt Popieluch's vocals are finished with a touch of reverb, which gives it an M. Ward-like quality. There's nothing groundbreaking about "Early Warnings," but it's so delightful that I can't help but leave it on repeat.

Person to Person will be released on June 23rd. Pre-order the album here. Foreign Born will also be supporting Grizzly Bear at a couple of shows before embarking on a nationwide tour with The Veils.

Early Warnings - Foreign Born

Vacationing People - Foreign Born

Foreign Born

7 comments:

Joseph on May 19, 2009 at 10:41 PM said...

Good stuff. As always.

mimi on May 20, 2009 at 12:18 AM said...

Some of their song intros really throw me off. I honestly feel like I'm listening to VW ("Early Warnings"), Radiohead ("It Grew On You"), or even the Walkmen ("Wait in this Chair").

Food for thought, literally (sometimes) on May 25, 2009 at 6:08 PM said...

LA! YEAH!

modern canvas art on February 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM said...

What a brilliant post, thanks a lot!

article submission service on July 10, 2012 at 7:36 AM said...

Great work buddy, keep it up.

donate items on August 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM said...

Great blog post. It’s useful information.

giving to charity on February 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM said...

This is a really good read for me. Must agree that you are one of the coolest blogger I ever saw.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog