Look at me, I made a blog

May 20, 2009

"Power Osci" - Shuta Hasunuma


via Western Vinyl

Yesterday, I received a wonderful surprise in my inbox from Brian over at Western Vinyl, home to past obsession Here We Go Magic and J. Tillman, the Fleet Foxes drummer. Shuta Hasunuma is a glitch pop artist from Tokyo who is fearlessly making some of the most engaging electronic music that I've heard in a long time. Combining traditional instruments with electronic layers, Hasunuma gives a modern context to his beautifully organic soundscapes.

"Power Osci" from the forthcoming Pop Ooga is definitely the pop song of the album, and it has been playing on my headphones and speakers all day. The song begins with a complex plucked guitar loop, joined by a simple synth keyboard melody. When Hasunama's voice enters the web of sounds, an immediate warmth soothes the listener. His wispy, R&B-tinged voice reminds me of the male J-pop artists I listened to nearly a decade ago. Perfectly complementing the intricate instrumentation, the vocal melodies are straightforward and delightfully catchy. I have no idea what Shuta could be singing, but I must admit that I have attempted to "sing" along. Needless to say, I should stick to just humming for now.

Pop Ooga will be released on vinyl on June 9, but it seems like it's available on iTunes now. Fingers crossed for some future U.S. dates.

Power Osci - Shuta Hasunuma

The Play - Shuta Hasunuma

Shuta Hasunuma

3 comments:

Emily on June 1, 2009 at 7:32 PM said...

i wish i knew what the heck he was saying

mimi on June 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM said...

me too. i pretend like i do

wall art on January 18, 2012 at 7:38 AM said...

aha I wished I knew as well.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog