Look at me, I made a blog

March 9, 2008

The Dodos



It's my favorite time of the year, when SXSW releases their list of participating artists. I usually spend many hours pouring over the ridiculously long list of names instead of studying for midterms. However, my hard work is always rewarded. The Dodos, a duo from San Francisco (not Brooklyn!) are one of my favorite discoveries this year.

The Dodos are Meric Long (guitar, vocals, trombone) and Logan Kroeber (drums). Unlike most duos, the Dodos don't try to force a big sound out of themselves by playing and singing as loudly as they possibly can. Instead, they add color to their music by using more complex rhythmic patterns and having very little empty space. As someone pointed out to me, Logan doesn't use a kick drum. He has a bass drum that he plays as a regular stand drum. If you watch their MP3.com tunnel performance, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Recently signed onto Frenchkiss Records (of Les Savy Fav and The Hold Steady), the Dodos will be releasing their sophomore record, Visiter, on March 18. The Dodos return to NYC on April 6th at Mercury Lounge.



Fools - The Dodos


Winter - The Dodos


Red and Purple - The Dodos




The Dodos

1 comments:

abstract canvas on March 5, 2012 at 11:16 AM said...

Really good review, thanks a lot!

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog