Look at me, I made a blog

March 29, 2008

Simian Mobile Disco - American Museum of Natural History 03.28.08






I am completely blown away by Simian Mobile Disco. Hands down, last night's show at the American Museum of Natural History was one of the best shows I had ever been to. SMD are a British duo of James Ford (who produced Arctic Monkeys' second album) and James Anthony Shaw. Simian Mobile Disco emerged from the band Simian (Justice did a remix of Simian's "Never Be Alone" in 2006 and won "Best Video" at the MTV Europe Music Awards, which upset Kanye).

I had never been to an electronic music show before, so I didn't really know what to expect. I didn't think that the guys would be creating music onstage; rather, I thought they would be just mixing or something. Well, I was completely wrong, because they were 100% live. SMD were very intense and serious onstage, which is not surprising since they're working with a ton of equipment. I was completely mesmerized by the physical complexity of their performance. The guys were constantly moving from one box to another, switching places, leaping from position to position. Trust me, it does not look easy.


Footage from the show (from RCRDLBL.com. Yours truly is blocking the camera most of the time).

There are some good pictures of the equipment here. But even better, watch the video below (Thanks, Alex!)





If you have a chance to see Simian Mobile Disco, GO. Life is seriously not complete without them. I broke the LCD screen on my camera that night and still no regrets!


I Got This Down - Simian Mobile Disco


I Believe - Simian Mobile Disco


Hustler - Simian Mobile Disco


Cherry Blossom Girl (Air) - Simian Mobile Disco



Simian Mobile Disco

1 comments:

Food for thought, literally (sometimes) on April 5, 2008 at 2:07 AM said...

wooowaaaaaw - smd - woooowaaaah COACHELLA!

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog