Look at me, I made a blog

March 30, 2008

Fleet Foxes - Bowery Ballroom 03.29.08



Bow on the guitar for "Drops in the River."

Most recent Bowery show (07.09.08) post here.

When I see a band like Fleet Foxes perform, I am reminded of why I love music in the first place and why I started this blog. If you haven't heard of this band, you are really missing out. Last night, Fleet Foxes opened for Blitzen Trapper at Bowery Ballroom. But, I went there exclusively for Fleet Foxes and left before the headlining act. I blogged about Fleet Foxes earlier, so I had to check out the show. Thankfully, I bought tickets early before the show sold out.

I was surprised by how engaged I was by FF's entire performance. Granted, the music is fantastic, but I thought I might be bored at the show. Besides the music, which was even better live, Fleet Foxes is one of the friendliest, most personable bands I've ever seen. I feel like most bands mutter a "thank you" in between songs...or they say nothing at all. Although one guy in the audience yelled out, "Less talk, more rock," I really enjoyed the band's comments and stories (about the NY subway, parking tickets). It really kept me captivated and I felt like I was getting to know the band better, which only made me like them even more.

Lead singer Robin Pecknold started out the night by telling the audience that he was sick with the flu (it was his 22nd birthday, too) and requested us to be less judgmental (HAH, like NYers are capable of that). He may have had a cup of tea on hand, but there was no way that man had been puking all day; the 5-member band sounded perfect. Throughout the set, Fleet Foxes were completely shocked and confused by the warm response they were receiving from the crowd. They kept on telling us how "sweet" and "nice" we were. I think they were forgetting that the New York crowd is not sweet or nice; we're brutally honest. When Robin played the intro to "English House" and people cheered, he was like, "Really? You know this one?" Yea, man. I do know that one. It's only my favorite song of the moment.

Don't let the genre and tempo of the music fool you. Fleet Foxes put on an intense, exciting show. The band has an amazing coordination with each other, and I really loved the usage of rich 3-part and 4-part harmonies. In fact, for "Mykonos," there is a one-beat drum intro (8th note) before Robin comes in on the guitar. And, they do it without looking at each other. Crazy.


Old mandolin, to be smashed. Ultimately, the instrument was not smashed to pieces. The band gave it away to someone in the crowd.


The new mandolin played during "Blue Ridge Mountains." Check out the mandolin bit around 2:05.

Setlist (Thanks to the anonymous comment!)
SUN GIANT /
SUN IT RISES /
DROPS IN THE RIVER / (MEDLEY)
ENGLISH HOUSE
KATIE CRUEL (TRAD.)
WHITE WINTER HYMNAL
YOUR PROTECTOR
OLIVER JAMES
MYKONOS
BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS

See my past post for more songs. Fleet Foxes will be releasing a self-titled LP on June 3rd. For now, you can buy Sun Giant from Sub Pop or from Insound.com. Check out the mandolin bit in "Blue Ridge Mountains" around 2:05.

Ragged Wood - Fleet Foxes


White Winter Hymnal - Fleet Foxes


Oliver James - Fleet Foxes


Blue Ridge Mountains - Fleet Foxes

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, the FF set was amazing. The entire room was just captivated. I hope they come back and headline sometime soon. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Amen, man.

You wouldn't happen to have a setlist, would you?

mimi on March 31, 2008 at 12:50 AM said...

No setlist. I heard someone asking Robin for one, but they just play by memory. They played all of Sun Giant (I think) and some stuff of their upcoming self-titled, including White Winter Hymnal and Oliver James. I'm not as familiar with their self-titled stuff so sorry, I can't tell you more.

Anonymous said...

SUN GIANT /
SUN IT RISES /
DROPS IN THE RIVER / (MEDLEY)
ENGLISH HOUSE
KATIE CRUEL (TRAD.)
WHITE WINTER HYMNAL
YOUR PROTECTOR
OLIVER JAMES
MYKONOS
BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS

mimi on March 31, 2008 at 2:17 AM said...

thanks, i'm gonna post that up

mimi on March 31, 2008 at 2:26 AM said...

btw, how'd you get that list?

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I was wondering what that traditional song was!

Anonymous said...

MP3 and video of that traditional here, btw:

http://hardtofindafriend.blogspot.com/2008/03/fleet-foxes-hard-to-find-friends.html

Food for thought, literally (sometimes) on April 3, 2008 at 8:04 PM said...

omgosh - your blog is like REAL PROFESH. i miss you.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog