Look at me, I made a blog

August 3, 2008

Jamie Lidell - Central Park Summerstage 08.03.08



I know, it's been awhile since I blogged. I tried to see MGMT last weekend at McCarren Pool, and I was completely unsuccessful. It took me ten minutes to find the end of the line. Apparently, arriving thirty minutes early was not early enough. I felt like I was waiting in line for an iPhone. After waiting way too long, I gave up and left. I had already seen these guys, and I didn't feel like waiting in line any longer.

This weekend was more successful (yay!). I've been a little restless without my weekly dose of music, so I was determined to make it to the Jamie Lidell show earlier today. Central Park Summerstage has a great lineup of shows every season, and I was excited to see Jamie Lidell on the bill. Learning my lesson from last week's disaster in Brooklyn, I arrived early and found a spot to sit. I also brought sunscreen, a towel, and face wipes. Did I mention that the summer heat is unkind to me? Oh, and I am also super short. Add a couple hundred people and you end up with one sweaty girl who loves music.

The first thing I realized when I saw Jamie Lidell walking around was that...he didn't look like Jamie Lidell. In fact, he looked like any other alternative dad. He was wearing black, slim trousers and a short-sleeve button-down graphic shirt with a strategically placed hole near the right armpit. Then, he went and changed into navy trousers, cummerbund, and jacket. A near suit sans the shirt. He looked sleek, but the outfit didn't top the one he wore at Pitchfork last year.

Jamie opened with "Another Day" (which I previously blogged about), one of my favorites from his new album, Jim. He had the audience singing backup for him on "A Little Bit More," which he lovingly described as the song that Target exploited. Although I prefer Lidell's up-beat songs, one of the most memorable moments of the show was his performance of "Game for Fools." Jamie is a fantastic, entertaining performer. I enjoy watching him so much that I sometimes forget that he is an amazing vocalist. "Game for Fools" definitely showcases his pipes, and it is even better live because you can visualize the emotions that go along with his lyrics. It is exactly the emotion and passion that Jamie Lidell expresses in his music that continue to make him an artist to care about.




Jamie Lidell will be returning to the U.S. in August. Check his MySpace for dates and locations.

Game for Fools - Jamie Lidell


Figured Me Out - Jamie Lidell



Jamie Lidell

1 comments:

canvas print on February 17, 2012 at 5:10 AM said...

What an awesome review and love Jamie Lidell!

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog