Look at me, I made a blog

November 19, 2008

Animal Collective - "Brothersport"


via Animal Collective

I can admit when I'm wrong or when I've changed my mind. Well, in this case, it's both. I've been hating on Animal Collective since I first heard Strawberry Jam and wrote them off forever. Oh, and that All Points West performance when I was standing 5 people deep or so in the crowd. My ears may have bled a little that day, but the performance did intrigue me. Mostly, I was confused when I found myself paying attention to "House" (now "My Girls") and "Brother Sport" (now "Brothersport"). A couple days ago, a studio version of "Brothersport" was leaked. I knew the link would not be up for long, and I was really anxious to listen to it. So, I asked a friend (Thanks, A.) to download the track for me and send it to my personal email.

If I'd thought the live versions were catchy, they're nothing compared to the mastered version. "Brothersport" is one of the most infectious songs that I've heard in a long time. Compared to the live versions, it is definitely sweeter and even more accessible. It's so sweet that my teeth hurt when I listen to it. In the best way possible. Oops, I just got distracted and started dancing in my chair to this song. I have to admit that I miss Avey Tare's yelping, which is left out in the studio version.

So, folks, turns out that I don't hate Animal Collective. In fact, I very much like Sung Tongs (K., I finally got around to it), too. And, I've always been a Panda Bear fan. I like when Animal Collective sounds more like Panda Bear. I can't remember where I read it, but someone wrote that this track/upcoming album sounded as if AC took the best part of the group, Panda Bear, and just went in that direction. Well, it's working for me.

The studio version is up on Grizzly Bear's Blog at the moment. I'm not sure how long that will be up, so act quickly. Enjoy the live versions of "Brothersport" and "My Girls" below.

Merriweather Post Pavillion will be released on January 20. The release date coincides with the date of the NYC show at Grand Ballroom. Unfortunately, I did not act quickly enough to get tickets. But, I will be diligently looking for some as the date draws nearer. I've decided that Grand Ballroom doesn't have the sound capacity to get that loud, so I may actually enjoy the show.

Brothersport - Animal Collective (Look in the text above)

My Girls (Live at Hove Festival 06-23-08) - Animal Collective


Brothersport (Live on NPR) - Animal Collective


Animal Collective

9 comments:

markedman on November 20, 2008 at 2:37 AM said...

wish you sugar on how this resold me too. but frankly I still like grizzly bear better. so I don't feel bad using their bandwidth to take this non grizzly song


ooh yah

Anonymous said...

I'm in complete agreement. Last.fm points out that AC has been creeping up my list for last 2 weeks, and Sung Tongs really showed me the way. I love Brothersport along with the cover art for MPP. Now why didn't we go to the listening party?

mimi on November 20, 2008 at 3:26 PM said...

i sorta brought up the listening party and you sorta laughed.

Hennessy on November 20, 2008 at 5:04 PM said...

I don't even CARE about the music (okay, I do kind of like "Brothersport") - that's the trippiest effing album artwork I've ever seen. I think I'm hallucinating.

mimi on November 20, 2008 at 5:19 PM said...

I know, reminds me of those Magic Eye books.

WEB SHERIFF on November 21, 2008 at 8:37 AM said...

WEB SHERIFF
Protecting Your Rights on the Internet
Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
Fax 44-(0)208 323 8080
websheriff@websheriff.com
www.websheriff.com

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Hi Mimi,

On behalf of Domino Records and Animal Collective, we would kindly ask you not to post copies of "Merriweather Post Pavillion" on your site (or any tracks from the artist’s new album – street date 20th January).

We do appreciate that you are fans of / are promoting Animal Collective, but the label and artist would greatly appreciate your co-operation in removing your links to the pirate files in question.

Thank you for respecting the artist's and label’s wishes … .. and, for info on “Merriweather Post Pavillion” and the band’s 2008/09 shows, check-out www.myspace.com/animalcollectivetheband and www.myanimalhome.net … .. you can also view Animal Collective videos at www.youtube.com/dominorecords and, for details of preview material and pre-release promotions, keep an eye on these official sources.

As you will appreciate, this e-mail is written on a without prejudice basis and, as such, all of our clients' accumulated, worldwide rights and remedies remain strictly reserved : please excuse this required formality.

With Thanks & Regards,

WEB SHERIFF

mimi on November 21, 2008 at 9:36 AM said...

Well, I haven't actually posted the studio version. But, I will take down the direct link.

Hiemann Lee on December 5, 2008 at 4:46 AM said...

lawls, websherrif, what a joke
it would suck to have that job looking for all these blog posts

ugh, the bowery ballroom show, how are we getting our hands on that?

canvas art on November 25, 2011 at 5:48 AM said...

Love this, come on guys!

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog