Look at me, I made a blog

November 7, 2008

Happy One Year!


via Partyware Supplies

Happy 1st Birthday (to me)! I can't believe that it's already been one year since I started this blog. I created Look at me, I made a blog because, well, it made me feel less worthless during my very laid-back last year of college. You know that you have senioritis when you're taking guitar lessons and a pilates class as filler points in order to stay a full-time student. All my close friends had blogs, so I figured I might as well jump on the wagon. It was an easy way for me to share what I was listening to and what shows I was attending. Also, because I was an engineering student (Surprised?), I needed an outlet for my non-math thoughts. So, this blog was born. Maybe one day, I will show this blog to my kids as proof that their mother was sorta cool in her 20s. But, they will probably roll their eyes at the archaic blog-form and terrible default layout, and call me a music nerd. Touché.

Over the past year, I've made some great discoveries (Fleet Foxes, Chairlift) and went to many shows, some more memorable than others. In only a year's time, some bands that I considered to be underrated in 2007 became some of the most over-hyped in 2008. I've had mini-celebrations when I was linked by the Gothamist, Metromix, Brooklyn Vegan, The Hype Machine, and Elbows. Honestly, I can't imagine a life without constant music discovery. The excitement that I feel when I listen to a new song or a band that truly leaves an impression on my day, my week, my year... it's irreplaceable. I am one of those people who can listen to something and can't help smiling.

The number of musicians that live in and come through New York is truly amazing, and it's been a huge motivating factor for me to stay in this city that I love-hate. Sadly, over four years of NYC-living has pretty much killed the Midwesterner in me. Yes, you can take the Hicksville out of the girl...for the most part. Sometimes at shows, I catch myself crossing my arms and ambivalently tapping a foot, and I think, "Oh no, I've become one of THEM." Uh oh, is it time for me to move to Austin or Seattle? Not sure if I'm ready to add that much plaid to my wardrobe.

Anyway, thank you for reading. Without you, the only person reading this blog would be my mother. I didn't realize that she was actually keeping up with the posts until she asked about my camera after this one and asked about my bruises after this one. So, thank you again. I am always surprised and flattered that you are somewhere out there, reading some of the absurdity that I write. Special thanks to Sarah, Andrew, and David for supporting Look at me, I made a blog from the very beginnings. And, of course, thanks to Mama Kim.

I leave you with a few appropriately-titled songs.

Whoever You Are - Geggy Tah (Who doesn't like the 90s?)


Geggy Tah

In the New Year - The Walkmen


The Walkmen post here.

The Walkmen

Each Year (RAC Mix) - Ra Ra Riot


Ra Ra Riot posts here.

Ra Ra Riot

5 comments:

Andrew on November 7, 2008 at 12:10 AM said...

Cheers!

Hiemann Lee on November 7, 2008 at 3:39 AM said...

congrats!
i cant believe what a godsend you are
ugh, otherwise id be super frustrated not being able to go to all these shows :P

Food for thought, literally (sometimes) on November 7, 2008 at 1:29 PM said...

Shout out to the queeen!!!!

Hennessy on November 10, 2008 at 5:11 PM said...

Congrats, Mimi! That you've been at this year and managed to put together such a tightly focused, successful site is an inspiration to this fellow blogger. Keep it up, both for me and my iPod!

canvas print on December 9, 2011 at 7:46 AM said...

What a brilliant post, thanks so much for sharing this with us.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog