Look at me, I made a blog

April 21, 2009

"DC Comics and Chocolate Milkshake" - Art Brut


via Photopass

People always chuckle at the name of my blog, but few actually know that both the lengthy URL and name are based on an Art Brut song called “Formed a Band.” When I first saw Art Brut at the Village Voice’s Siren Music Festival in the summer of ’06, I had to admit that I was confused. Eddie Argos more or less spoke his hilarious lines, albeit with lots of fervor and energy. Art Brut may not be a band for everyone, but I’m glad that there is another round of catchy guitar hooks and unforgettably entertaining lyrics with the latest album, Art Brut vs. Satan.

As Art Brut takes us through our more busted moments in life, I can’t help but think that Eddie Argos is once again telling a story that we all know too well. In “Alcoholics Unanimous,” Eddie wakes up with a hangover and preemptively apologizes to his friends, via the same group text, for whatever he may have done the previous night. Sound familiar? Moving on, he wisely remarks that while life may be hard, certain "Peter Pan syndrome" things will always be great, like DC comics and chocolate milkshakes. But, “Passenger,” a song about public transportation, must have been written with me in mind. Confession: I don’t have my driver’s license nor can I really drive. But, as Eddie says, "I love public transportation. Train or bus, they're both amazing." Okay, maybe not so much once I start paying $103 for a monthly MTA pass. Maybe I should invest in a folding bicycle.

Art Brut vs. Satan is currently available for purchase. Art Brut has a 5-night residency at Mercury Lounge this June, and I will be attending on Thursday night. My dream is that Eddie Argos has seen this blog and speak-sings, “Made a blog, I made a blog! Look at me, I made a blog!” I like to dream big.

DC Comics and Chocolate Milkshake - Art Brut

Formed a Band - Art Brut

Art Brut

4 comments:

RS on April 22, 2009 at 9:46 AM said...

You're IN my head... I was juuuuust using this song for stress relief, yesterday!

mimi on April 22, 2009 at 5:53 PM said...

i'm watching your thoughts

no-elegancia on April 25, 2009 at 11:57 PM said...

I always knew about the name. I love art brut.

canvas art on March 8, 2012 at 7:44 AM said...

Great work ,thansk a lot man!

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog