Look at me, I made a blog

April 28, 2009

"Moth's Wings" & "Little Secrets" - Passion Pit


Passion Pit will never play a venue this small ever again

Aaaaand, I'm back on the Passion Pit wagon. If you follow Look at me, I made a blog or I force you to listen to me talk about music, you may have noticed that I don't mention Passion Pit anymore. I started listening to them last July and audaciously declared them as "the next big thing" after seeing them at the first show of their Pianos residency. I went on to see them two more times last fall, including at the BrooklynVegan CMJ showcase and a packed, sold-out show at Glasslands Gallery. And, sometime after that, I started to lose interest. Their names and faces seemed to be everywhere, destined to meet a Vampire Weekend-like fate of irritating stardom, all without having released a proper debut album.

When this much hype surrounds a band that I like, I try to be cautiously optimistic about their forthcoming album. After hearing "The Reeling," the first single off Manners, I honestly wasn't that impressed. Sure, it's catchy and children's choirs seem to be the fad of the year (i.e. Grizzly Bear, Peter Bjorn & John), but it seemed almost overproduced and dragging in length towards the end. I still listened to it a lot, but it didn't have the viral charm of the Chunk of Change EP. Hearing "Little Secrets" over the weekend chased away my reservations about the new album, and now I can't wait to hear more of Manners. I can't really explain it, but the intro to "Little Secrets" is the most addicting 24 seconds I have heard in a very long time. Who knew that some simple synth lines with cowbell could be so dangerous? Just a rough estimate, but I believe I've listened to this one song for about four hours since Saturday. Before I'm even over "Little Secrets," Passion Pit released a new song yesterday that will also see heavy rotation on my playlists. Opening with strums that are reminiscent of the Beatles' "Across the Universe," "Moth's Wings" sounds unlike any other Passion Pit song thus far, especially with Angelakos refraining from reaching his upper vocal register. "Moth's Wings" is still very much a pop song, but it hints at songwriting skills beyond fun dance hits like "Sleepyhead."

So much for managing expectations. I'm counting down to the release of Manners on May 19. Does anyone have extra tickets to any of the Bowery shows? Shouldn't have snoozed.

Little Secrets - Passion Pit

Moth's Wings - Passion Pit

Passion Pit

5 comments:

Nate on April 30, 2009 at 4:47 PM said...

i hope they fade away, they kinda suck

Matthew on May 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM said...

Mimi - I think you are definitely right about "Little Secrets" and "Moth's Wings." They are both awesome tracks.

I hope you score tix to see them at the Bowery - I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun. Wish I was in NY so I could catch a show there. Every time I visit there are no shows worth catching.

mimi on May 2, 2009 at 4:20 PM said...

Other than those tracks, I was probably most excited to hear "Make Light." I've been hearing that performed live, but I had no idea what it was called.

I think the Bowery shows will be fun because people will actually dance for a change!

There are some rare weeks/weekends when the music scene is a little dry. I guess you've been unlucky?

Matthew on May 4, 2009 at 11:50 AM said...

There has been a fair number of good shows in the Bay area recently - I just haven't been able to make it to any of them. But I do have tickets for 4 upcoming concerts in the next few weeks. I'm probably most excited about seeing French Miami at the Rickshaw and Grizzly Bear at the Fillmore.

Of course, nothing compares to the NYC music scene.

canvas prints on October 4, 2011 at 6:02 AM said...

I like passion pit and caught them live last year and they were great. Where are some good local music bars in NYC then?

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog