Look at me, I made a blog

April 4, 2009

"Taking the Farm" - The War on Drugs


via The Poverty Jet Set

Things have been a little quiet here at Look at me, I made a blog but for a good (non-musical) reason. My life has been consumed by a search for a new place to live. Time that I would normally commit to listening to music, seeing bands, or blogging about ear candy is now being devoted to obsessively refreshing Craigslist, stalking building owners, and hopping on the train to see amazing units that are only available for viewing during the week from 9-5 PM (WTF??). And, this may come as a shock to you, but I have yet to purchase an appropriate MP3 player. After my iPod broke down two years ago, I've been using this cute but near useless iPod shuffle, endearingly labeled, "come on feel the illinoise."

Yes, it's been stressful, but the little things, like this song, are getting me through it. I've been listening to a lot of Kurt Vile lately, and I read somewhere that he also plays in a Philadelphia-based band called The War on Drugs. A quick iTunes search later, I found myself listening to "Taking the Farm." It's amazing to me that this song had just been sitting in my library, and it's clear that I need something to help me discover the music I already have. But the tune couldn't have resurfaced at a better time, a perfect song for a spring or summer day. From the psychedelic effects to the clever, catchy lyrics, "Taking the Farm" is a song that invokes dreams of warm weather, carefree days of lying out in the sun. This reminds me of a couple sentences in the Fleet Foxes LP liner notes that read, "Music activates a certain mental freedom in a way that nothing else can, and that is so empowering. You can call it escapism if you like, but I see it as connecting to a deeper human feeling than found in the day-to-day world." So screw reality, turn on this song, and dream away as you please. I will be dreaming of listening to The War on Drugs in my new, yet to be found apartment.

Taking the Farm - The War on Drugs | Alternative Link

The War On Drugs

8 comments:

Mark Schoneveld on April 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM said...

Thanks for the link, Mimi - did you see my video I made for these fellas?

Also - my main music blog is on Tumblr - yvynyl! :)

mimi on April 6, 2009 at 9:43 PM said...

I just watched the video, the mirrored image parts are really trippy. I'll be following yvynyl!

Food for thought, literally (sometimes) on April 7, 2009 at 7:10 PM said...

i hope you don't find an apt and have to live in curry hill for the rest of your single life.

Frozen Atlantic on April 8, 2009 at 7:58 PM said...

You're trying to have a house and a roof and stuff instead of listening to music?

Pff. I thought you were core.

mimi on April 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM said...

I know, hard to believe that I have basic human needs like a roof over my head. I'm going through some major live music withdrawal.

ADN Project on April 15, 2009 at 6:27 AM said...

LOVE this tune! Think I'll have to spin it on the next ADN...with a suitably massive shout out to madeablog, of course

mimi on April 15, 2009 at 7:29 AM said...

glad you like it! it's still on my daily rotation, so infectious. have you checked out kurt vile?

ADN Project on April 15, 2009 at 12:09 PM said...

Not as of yet, but will get on the case asap. Just about to head off to catch Frightened Rabbit play in town - have you checked them out? Well worth a listen.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog