Look at me, I made a blog

July 15, 2008

The Acorn



Not too long ago, I stumbled upon The Acorn's name in SPIN magazine. Yes, I have a subscription to SPIN. It came free with my ticket to All Points West. Although most of the magazine is erm...not very good, I do like this one section where writers recommend new acts that are supposedly under the radar. And there was The Acorn.

From Ottawa, The Acorn released their first LP earlier this year in the States. Glory Hope Mountain is an artfully formulated concept album that is based on the life of Rolf Klausener's mother, Gloria Esperanza Montoya (Get the connection?). When a friend asked me to describe the album, I initially described it as being soothing. This album was perfect to listen to while I was studying for an exam. While the music is great to work to, it's interesting enough to keep me awake, which is a plus. I do admit that I am a bit biased when it comes to indie folk (I sorta love it), but something about this band stands out to me. Maybe it's the influence of Honduran percussion and rhythms, but I dig it.

Here are some of my favorite tracks. Enjoy!

Crooked Legs - The Acorn


Low Gravity - The Acorn


Flood Pt. 1 - The Acorn



The Acorn

3 comments:

Food for thought, literally (sometimes) on July 16, 2008 at 2:49 AM said...

stop blogging. you blog so much you can't even talk to me. i can't take this anymore. you have two days to rectify.

Hiemann Lee on July 23, 2008 at 11:04 AM said...

i concur

canvas print on March 6, 2012 at 7:03 AM said...

What a brilliant post, thanks so much for sharing this with us!

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog