Look at me, I made a blog

September 21, 2008

Stars - Terminal 5 09.20.08


Not a bad picture, considering that my LCD screen is still painfully broken

It's always a privilege to see one of my all-time favorite bands. I've been a huge fan of Stars for many years, and I made my way to Terminal 5 to see them for the third time. Thankfully (and unsurprisingly), the Stars crowd was not like the Hot Chip crowd that I experienced at Terminal 5, so I escaped with no bruises.

What's great about a band like Stars is that they're able to bring out a large devoted fan base. Maybe it's because I tend to check out newer artists, but it's great to be a part of an audience that truly appreciates the band's music. There's something magical about being a part of a crowd that knows the words to all the songs. During a quiet moment in "Midnight Coward," you could actually hear the entire audience singing along. Folks, I live for moments like this, feeling a connection to the band and everyone around you. Hearing one of my favorite songs ("Elevator Love Letter)" performed live is an experience that I can't describe in words. I can only hope that everyone, at least once in his or her lifetime, will understand what I'm trying to convey.

The set had a good mix of In the Bedroom, Set Yourself on Fire, Sad Robots, and older stuff. I would have preferred less In the Bedroom, but that's my personal bias. The show itself felt a little long, but I was happy when Stars closed the night with "Heart," a song that I don't think I've heard live before, but my memory may be failing me. Will Stars ever bring back their cover of the Smiths' "This Charming Man?"

Now that I've gone through most of the good, I should probably mention some of the bad parts of the show. BellX1, the opening act, utterly confused me. Their songs spanned so many genres without any cohesion. In general, I don't think this band was an appropriate opener for Stars (Is BellX1 a Christian rock band?). My friend E. said that "I'll See Your Heart and Raise You Mine" reminded her of Nicholas Sparks. To make it clear, this was not meant to be a compliment. Let's just say there is a reason why Damien Rice left this band. Oh yea, and the lead singer definitely needs a visit to rehab.

And, here's something My Old Kentucky Blog's The 10 Commandments of Concert Behavior should cover: Thou shalt not drown out the band by screaming the lyrics. I couldn't hear Amy Millan half of the time because the girls behind me were screaming in perfect tone-deaf form. It may be a revelation to them that contrary to their belief, I came to the show to listen to Stars, not them.

Go see Stars. They are pop music at its best. Past post here.


Set Yourself on Fire was cut out :(

Setlist
The Night Starts Here
Ageless Beauty
Soft Revolution
Window Bird
Reunion
Violent
Bitches in Tokyo
My Favourite Book
Going, Going, Gone
Look Up
Midnight Coward
A Thread Cut with a Carving Knife
Undertow
What I'm Trying to Say
Elevator Love Letter
Your Ex-Lover is Dead
********************
Take Me to the Riot
One More Night (Your Ex-Lover Remains Dead)
Calendar Girl
Heart

Reunion- Stars


Heart - Stars


Elevator Love Letter - Stars


Midnight Coward - Stars



Stars

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i got the set-list too :)

i also noticed that they didnt play "set yourself on fire"; i wonder why?

mimi on October 2, 2008 at 12:34 AM said...

i think the set was just too long? i may be wrong, but i think terminal 5 may have a strict curfew because of its location or because it's all ages.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog