Look at me, I made a blog

February 20, 2009

"Creekmouth" & "Thanksgiving Moon" - DM Stith


via Lost At E Minor

In an Ambien-induced stupor a few nights ago, I came across the most appropriate album for my mood. One of the Asthmatic Kitty family members, DM Stith first emerged as a My Brightest Diamond collaborator. Although he still collabs with his labelmates and most recently contributed back-up vocals to Sufjan and Buck 65's "Blood, Pt 2" off Dark Was The Night, David Stith is releasing his first full-length album, Heavy Ghost, on March 10.

While "Pity Dance" was my introduction to the album, the eerie "Creekmouth" was the track that really drew me to listen to Heavy Ghost in its entirety. The song is spooky in an oddly spiritual and tribal way, and the rest of the album continues in this manner. Another favorite of mine, "Thanksgiving Moon" is a song that personally speaks to me since I'm going through something that most people refer to as a quarter-life crisis. I just rolled my eyes at myself, but you get the idea. While the opening lyrics are somewhat hopeful, the minor key and melancholy vocals reveal the conflicting duality of the piece. It's a stunning piece that haunts me every time I take a listen. A demo version of the song is available on DM Stith's official website here.

Although my writer's block is prohibiting me from communicating how much I enjoy this album, I'm pretty confident that DM Stith's Heavy Ghost will end up on my list of top albums of 2009. I hope I don't have to eat these words in December.

Heavy Ghost is available for pre-order. If you're in the NY area, catch DM Stith with Pterodactyl at Cake Shop on February 27.

Creekmouth - DM Stith | Alternative Link


Thanksgiving Moon - DM Stith | Alternative Link


DM Stith

And, if you're curious, you can read the official album press release for extensive lyrical and musical context.

3 comments:

Joseph on February 22, 2009 at 12:40 PM said...

This album is really great. Thanks for the heads up Mimi. I probably never would have heard it.

mimi on February 22, 2009 at 2:36 PM said...

I can't stop listening to it. I hope that it gets good press, because it certainly deserves it.

sunset canvas on February 16, 2012 at 10:48 AM said...

What an awesome post, thanks so much for sharing this with us!

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog