Look at me, I made a blog

February 8, 2009

Nodzzz, Wavves - Underground Lounge 02.08.09


Wavves @ Less Artists, More Condos
via .



Nodzzz @ Underground Lounge

Morningside Heights is probably one of the last places I would voluntarily trek to on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, but I happily returned to my old stomping grounds today to check out Nodzzz and Wavves. WBAR has been keeping the kids cool with acts like Crystal Stilts, Fujiya & Miyagi, and Telepathe over the last couple years, so I wasn't surprised when they came together with Todd P to bring some of the most anticipated acts of late. I'd never been to Underground Lounge during the day, nor had I ever ventured away from the front bar area, but somehow it made sense to me that the "performance space" was more like a dark corner in someone's exposed-brick basement. The small raised stage could barely support a drum set and some amps, and the room was more than cozy. Basically, it was a perfect place to listen to some Californian garage pop/punk bands during the daytime.

Usually, lo-fi/garage pop tends to be a hit-or-miss for me, but Nodzzz is exactly what I needed to get over my endless winter blues. Their music makes me want to skip and jump outside, which I would never do under any circumstance. I don't really get it, because I don't think they're particularly good in the traditional musical sense. But their lack of musical precision is exactly the reason why I can't stop listening to them. And, I always enjoy half-serious lyrics. With songs that were mostly under the two-minute mark, Nodzzz delivered controlled doses of their catchiness. I would love to see this band again somewhere outdoors.

Of the acts that I caught, Wavves was probably the most hyped one. Nyctaper said that Wavves had found fame on the Internet, and to a certain extent, it's true. You can't click through the major music websites and blogs without some mention of the Wavves buzz. While he's 22, Wavves aka Nathan Williams looks like a young child prodigy of some sort. As I was waiting for him and his drummer, Ryan Ulsh, to set up, I overheard some students talk about how much they admired Nathan's genius and how Wavves made them think, "Dude, I just want to make some experimental music." Roll eyes. As a live act, Wavves was far less distorted than he is on record, and he sounded more like straight garage punk. I don't know if this is the case at all his shows, but don't take this as a complaint. The sound was still ear-ringingly loud, and the music was just as fun. Creating fun in a cramped, warm basement with no air circulation is no ordinary feat, but Wavves did it. No surprises that Wavvves, which will officially drop in March, is already making some preliminary Top of 2009 lists. Personally, Wavves hasn't given me any musical revelations (and some of you will fiercely disagree with this), but I can't help but enjoy listening to the songs, either recorded or live. If anything, Wavves has made me think that noise can be done in a way that's listenable and not too abrasive.

How was Blank Dogs? I left before they got on.

Losing My Accent - Nodzzz


Nodzzz

So Bored - Wavves


Pre-order Wavvves here.

5 comments:

McG on February 9, 2009 at 8:41 AM said...

great show. blank dogs cancelled, never played, so you missed nothing.

nyctaper on February 9, 2009 at 11:27 AM said...

A recording of the Wavves Market Hotel set was posted at nyctaper on Saturday afternoon, and the Nodzzz recording was posted last night. I hope to post Blank Dogs tonight.

Food for thought, literally (sometimes) on February 10, 2009 at 8:53 PM said...

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah represent!!!! califoooooornia.

also.. no offense, but wavves looks like a huge douche.

mimi on February 10, 2009 at 9:44 PM said...

yea he looks that way cuz he's from california.

also, why do you keep saying no offense? it's not me you're offending, it's your home state.

abstract canvas on February 15, 2012 at 7:33 AM said...

Wonderful post, thanks a lot for sharing this with us.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog