Look at me, I made a blog

December 4, 2008

Beirut - "In the Mausoleum"


via LA Weekly's Blogs

I may have stopped breathing for a few seconds today when I found out that Beirut will be performing at BAM Howard Gilman Opera House in February. Recently, I've been revisiting a lot of Beirut material. Partially, it's because I got a ukulele, and I particularly enjoy playing Beirut songs. My roommate just asked me why I keep on playing the same Beirut songs over and over on the uke. Well, one reason is because I haven't learned anything else. Another is that practice makes perfect, silly. Not that I could ever be Zach Condon, whose talent drives me absolutely mad with jealousy. I don't like that we're the same age, yet I have accomplished nothing in comparison (Robin Pecknold of Fleet Foxes also makes me feel worthless). Damn you for making music that I love.

Well, I no longer have to fantasize about Zach Condon making a surprise guest appearance at Final Fantasy and Grizzly Bear's BAM show with the Brooklyn Philharmonic. Beirut may have cancelled their recent tour and gone on a brief hiatus, but it sounds like they're ready to come back with a new album, a new tour, and possibly a new direction. Well, as long as the new Beirut sounds as good as the below songs, I will have no complaints. And, it'd be nice to have some new uke material.

Tickets for Beirut's Sounds of Brooklyn @ BAM on February 6 go on presale tomorrow, open to Friends of BAM. General public sale begins next week on December 12. Unfortunately, I am not a Friend of BAM. But, if you are, and you are a kind person who is willing to purchase tickets for a gracious (and financially reliable) blogger, you have my contact info.



In the Mausoleum - Beirut


Elephant Gun - Beirut



Beirut

12 comments:

Hanan on December 5, 2008 at 10:27 PM said...

I rediscovered my love for Beirut last week. they are just so amazing.

Nate on December 6, 2008 at 4:29 PM said...

shhhhh! don't tell anyone about the show. i need to get good seatssss. and if any friends of bam are willing to buy tickets for me, email me!

-nate

Anonymous said...

also, i got a uke too and all i did was play beirut songs on it. it's too much fun.

mimi on December 6, 2008 at 4:41 PM said...

pitchfork news just reported the sounds like brooklyn fest yesterday... but i'm hoping that good seats will be left when beirut general sale begins next fri. if not, i will still go to this and impatiently wait for more dates to be released. maybe they'll do a record release show in march?

Anonymous said...

i remember when zach was interviewed by pitchfork a month or two ago, he said there would be multiple brooklyn dates. hopefully he announces them before next friday so i can make some good decisions

mimi on December 7, 2008 at 2:14 PM said...

sweet, that's good to know. also good to hear that there will be multiple brooklyn dates. i will be tempted to go to all of them. i was pretty devastated when i didn't act quickly enough to grab tickets to their last show in may.

also, come to think of it, i think beirut is the reason why i wanted a uke in the first place.

Anonymous said...

oh. you could've had mine. i showed up for the show but they were all pissy about the age limit and wouldn't let me in. boo hoo

mimi on December 7, 2008 at 11:29 PM said...

aww, that sucks. hopefully you've remedied that by now. music hall is a good medium-sized venue.

Nate on December 10, 2008 at 9:23 PM said...

now that all of the blogs have broken the show its very unlikely that us normal folks get good seats

mimi on December 10, 2008 at 9:26 PM said...

twas inevitable. unfortunately, i've spoken with a friend of bam and he ended up with like 20th row orchestra seats. it's not looking good for the rest of us...

mimi on December 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM said...

and the show announcements continue:
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2008/12/beirut_playing_3.html

canvas pictures on November 22, 2011 at 4:48 AM said...

Thanks a lot for the great piece.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog