Look at me, I made a blog

December 18, 2008

Top Albums of 2008: The Rhumb Line


via antiquiet

I’d been following Ra Ra Riot since I saw them open for Tokyo Police Club nearly two years ago. While their debut effort The Rhumb Line didn’t introduce many new tunes outside of what had been on the Ra Ra Riot demo, it was a highly anticipated album for me in 2008. I had wondered how the band would fare after the unexpected death of their drummer, John Pike, and I was beginning to think that Ra Ra Riot would never release a LP. Fortunately, I was proven wrong with The Rhumb Line, an enjoyable pop album, especially if you're a sucker for strings. And even if you're not, try listening to "Too Too Too Fast" without moving your body. The song was one of my late summer anthems, and it always takes me back to the days of sweaty outdoor festivals.

My Old Kentucky Blog's song-by-song breakdown of The Rhumb Line here. Past posts on Ra Ra Riot here.

Too Too Too Fast - Ra Ra Riot


St. Peter's Day Festival - Ra Ra Riot


Winter '05 - Ra Ra Riot


Ra Ra Riot

Other Top Albums of 2008:
A Reflection
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Atlas Sound - Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel
The Dodos - Visiter
Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes/Sun Giant EP
The Walkmen - You & Me
TV on the Radio - Dear Science
Department of Eagles - In Ear Park
Deerhunter - Microcastle/Weird Era Cont.

1 comments:

Andrew on December 23, 2008 at 4:06 PM said...

sucker for strings, yes indeed

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog