Look at me, I made a blog

December 1, 2008

Top Albums of 2008: A Reflection


No Jens Lekman album this year, but at least I saw him twice

I feel like I've been spending way too much time on Ukulele Hunt and not enough on blogging. H. just told me that I haven't posted in a blog century. So, as the year is nearly coming to an end, it's time for the "Best of 2008" lists. I started jotting down a rough list in my notebook a couple months ago, but I'm sure I've missed plenty of records that were released in the early part of the year. Some of these albums have somehow changed my tastes and thoughts on music. Others are just too much fun to not enjoy. Life-changing or not, these records are the ones that have shaped my year. It's funny how I can listen to one of these albums and be transported back to the place/time/weather that I associate with it.

As a little refresher, I've looked up my personal list of 2007's top albums. Oh, the hilarity.

Top Albums of 2007 (in no particular order):
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend (Blue CD-R Demo)
!!! (Chk Chk Chk) - Myth Takes
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Simian Mobile Disco - Attack Decay Sustain Release
Yeasayer - All Hour Cymbals
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala
Fujiya & Miyagi - Transparent Things
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Peter Bjorn and John - Writer's Block

I know what you're thinking. Where is Bon Iver on this list? Bon Iver turned out to be more of a 2008 thing for me. I've spent many hours attempting to play "Blindsided" on my acoustic. Can I count Bon Iver's debut as an album of 2008 since it was re-released in February? Oh, you may also be asking me what the hell I was thinking with a couple of these on my list. Things change? Also, I think Beirut should have been on that list. I've been listening to a lot of The Flying Club Cup recently. Perhaps, that is also ukulele-influenced. Then again, there are many 2007 albums that I didn't have the opportunity to appreciate until 2008...

Anyway, some of these albums have continued to be classics for me. Just a few minutes ago, I was playing Jens' "Your Arms Around Me" on the ukulele (If anyone has the ukulele version of that, please please send it this way). Just recently, I've been listening to a lot of Vampire Weekend. Judge me if you will, but I associate Vampire Weekend with the fall and early winter, which was when I was listening to their demo on repeat last year. And, a year ago, I never thought that VW would blow up in the way that they did. Now, I'm sickened by how often I hear their name. I can admit it: I am jealous. But, I can't deny that "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" is a great pop song. Unfortunately, since their demo made my list in 2007, their proper debut will not be on my 2008 list since the two are roughly the same.

If you're a relatively frequent follower of this blog, you will find that some of the albums on my list are predictable. Clearly, I've greatly favored a handful of bands this year. But, there will be surprises since there are some awesome albums that I never got around to blogging about.

Your Arms Around Me - Jens Lekman


Jens Lekman

Top Albums of 2008:
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Atlas Sound - Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel
The Dodos - Visiter
Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes/Sun Giant EP
The Walkmen - You & Me
Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line
TV on the Radio - Dear Science
Department of Eagles - In Ear Park
Deerhunter - Microcastle/Weird Era Cont.

3 comments:

Food for thought, literally (sometimes) on December 2, 2008 at 4:12 PM said...

I would have to concur that some of those are awesome albums.

I'm also really happy that I know most of those bands. Heyoo

Anonymous said...

Oh how innocent we were back in 2007. I think Bon Iver would have to be my fave of 2007, but like you I didn't get to hear it until 2008.

Sorry to have taken up your time with my blog! But thanks for the mention.

Hennessy on December 3, 2008 at 11:25 AM said...

There's a (semi) prominent musical artist named 'Jens'? My dad, Jens Fog, will PLOTZ when he hears this. A pop-punk band called 'The Hennings' can't be far away...

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog