Look at me, I made a blog

December 8, 2008

Top Albums of 2008: For Emma, Forever Ago


via North Coast Journal

Although For Emma, Forever Ago was technically self-released in 2007, I’ve decided to count its Jagjaguwar release in February 2008 so that I could put it on this list. I may have been an emo kid in high school, but now it is rare for me to be moved by recorded music. Luckily for me, Justin Vernon aka Bon Iver spent three months in a cabin in Wisconsin, and this album was the beautiful product of that time. Who says nothing good comes out of the Midwest??

Lately, I’ve been revisiting For Emma, Forever Ago. I’ve been pretty excited for his upcoming show at Music Hall this Friday, and I’ve been counting down the days ever since I purchased my tickets. I don’t think I’ve listened to this much Bon Iver since back in May, right before I left for my summer backpacking trip. During the days leading up to my departure, I spent a lot of time playing “Blindsided” due to this easy-to-follow tutorial. There are some really gorgeous chords in there.

A little bit of Bon Iver is perfect for the sudden bout of cold weather that we’ve been experiencing here. I may have spent most of my life in Illinois, but all the years in New York have weakened my winter tolerance. Now, all I want to do is curl up in bed with a book while listening to some of this beautifully haunting album.

And, if you haven’t already, I highly recommend that you check out Bon Iver’s upcoming EP, Blood Bank. It leaked last week, but I won’t be posting it up here. The title song is about being stuck in the snow with someone you don’t know. Just to warn you, I’ve caught myself getting teary over this song on two separate occasions while waiting for the subway. I pretended that I had something in my eye. Listen to it here.

Bon Iver, see you in a few days.

Re: Stacks - Bon Iver


Flume - Bon Iver


Bon Iver

Other Top Albums of 2008:
A Reflection
Atlas Sound - Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel
The Dodos - Visiter
Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes/Sun Giant EP
The Walkmen - You & Me
Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line
TV on the Radio - Dear Science
Department of Eagles - In Ear Park
Deerhunter - Microcastle/Weird Era Cont.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, are we going to see this guy--in like 6 hours?

mimi on December 12, 2008 at 6:57 PM said...

now it's more like approx 3.5 hours!

Anonymous said...

Forever behind the curve, I just bought For Emma, Forever Ago and find myself getting lost completely in its songs. Not to say they're "easy" or something you don't need to engage with, but just so perfectly evocative and authentic-sounding. I wasn't that sold by reviews that claimed it's like "listening to someone's diary" - why would I want to do that? - but enough top or near-top spots on year-end lists (Hype Machine) pushed me to buy. I'm really glad I did.

mimi on March 15, 2009 at 12:36 PM said...

there's something that's very raw and naked about the album. not in the sense that the album is musically minimalist, but i always feel like justin vernon is personally baring his heart to me when i listen to it. you should check out his blood bank ep, if you haven't already. i really like the title song.

canvas art prints on December 1, 2011 at 6:15 AM said...

Love this album, it's so good. It's hard not to like.

 
Ology

mp3 blogs
The Hype Machine
Copyright © 2007-2010 Look at me, I made a blog